Today I’m going to share our vegan banana ice cream recipe for Meatless Monday (on Tuesday because of Memorial Day yesterday) and The Kids Cook Monday. This recipe is super versatile. You can change it up to suit your tastes in so many ways! Add mint if you like, make it super chocolate-y, plain vanilla, you name it!
I think this has to be our boys’ all-time favorite recipe to make. Mainly because they get ice cream at the end, true! However, it’s really the only one that they can make entirely on their own. I’m really just there to hang out with them. Our guys are 11 and 8 years old. Actually, they made the banana ice cream in these pictures! And they had a blast doing it.
It’s important to let our kids do things on their own. They’re building confidence and life skills that will stick with them forever. Yes, it’s just a simple banana ice cream recipe. But, to an 8 and 11-year-old, it’s proof that they’re an important and USEFUL part of our family unit. They made the dessert for our Sunday meal! Their favorite part of Sunday supper (we generally only have dessert on Sundays)!! My guys sometimes say that they don’t think they do much around here to help me out. I try to constantly give them little reminders of all the things they do that help. Heck, just their daily chores are a HUGE help to me, but they don’t always feel like they are because they’ve gotten so used to doing them that it’s just a normal part of their day.
Moral of the story: let your kids cook! Find recipes they can make entirely on their own. You can come back here every Monday to find a new kid friendly recipe.
This is our favorite version of my banana ice cream recipe: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
- 7 medium-large bananas, sliced and frozen
- 1 TBS agave nectar, more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- sweetened vanilla almond milk, enough to be able to blend the bananas to a creamy consistency
- Peel and slice the bananas. Place them on a plate and put it in the freezer for about an hour. You want them to be completely frozen.
- Add 1/2 of the frozen banana slices to your blender. Add the almond milk one tablespoon at a time until the bananas blend smoothly.
- Continue adding the bananas and almond milk until you have them all blended.
- Add the vanilla and peanut butter. Blend again, adding more almond milk as needed.
- Once you have the consistency right, taste the banana ice cream. If it needs to be sweeter, add the agave one teaspoon at a time.
- When you have the flavor just right, add the chocolate chips and blend it just enough to break the chips up a bit.
- Transfer the banana ice cream to a container that can go in the freezer. Freeze it for 30 mins-overnight. This allows it to set up a bit.
That’s it! The perfect vegan banana ice cream recipe.