One of the best things about vegan potato salad is that it doesn’t have to be refrigerated!! You’re not going to end up making people sick if you take this vegan version to your bbq or picnic. Since you’re using Vegenaise (affiliate link), which has no egg, you’re cool to let this sit out. Go vegan!
I’m a Southern girl. That means sweet tea, potato salad and greens at every bbq. That’s the way we roll, yo. Just because I’ve
been ripped from had to move out of the South, that doesn’t mean I’ve left my Southern ways down there. No sir. If I make tea, you best believe it has a ton of sugar in it (vegan Demerara sugar, but lots of it). When I make vegan potato salad, it’s with mayo (Vegenaise).
Nowadays I use Yukon golds in my potato salad, but you can certainly use russets if that’s your preference! My basic rule is to double the amount of russets I would use if I am using Yukon golds. So, if I was using four russets, that would be eight Yukon golds. Use common sense here. If you have some pretty big Yukons, make allowances for that.
Vegan Potato Salad Recipe
- 8 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut into cubes no smaller than 1″
- 3/4 – 1 cup Vegenaise
- 1/2 cup dill relish
- 3 TBS yellow mustard
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (optional, I think it’s gross so I don’t use it but some people love celery in their potato salad)
- Boil the potatoes for roughly 10-15 mins. You want them to soften up a bit, but they need to still be firm or your vegan potato salad is going to be mush.
- Drain the potatoes and rinse them under cool water. Leave them in the colander sitting in the sink while you get everything else together.
- In a large bowl, put the rest of the ingredients in the order listed. It makes it easier to mix it all up this way.
- Once it’s mixed, add in your potatoes. Gently fold them over and over until all the potatoes are coated.
- Give it a taste! Do you need some more Vegenaise? Salt? Relish?
Everyone’s tastes vary and the amount of Vegenaise, etc that you need will also depend on your potatoes. If you’re adding extras, start out slow and make sure you fully mix it up before trying it again. I add the Vegenaise one tablespoon at a time if the vegan potato salad is too dry. If it doesn’t have that nice twang, I’ll add more relish by the tablespoon. Or a bit more mustard.
This vegan potato salad recipe is the base I start with when I make it. I honestly don’t think I ever use the same amount each time!
I would love to know if you try this recipe or if you have a favorite vegan potato salad recipe! Leave me a comment down below!
(Disclosure: This post contains an affiliate link. Please see my full Disclosure Policy for more details)